On all non domestic construction projects, the Client is required to:-
• Check competence and resources of all appointees
• Ensure there are suitable management arrangements for the project including welfare facilities
• Allow sufficient time and resources for all stages
• Provide pre-construction information to designers and contractors
Additionally, on Notifiable* projects, the Client is required to:-
• Appoint CDM Co-ordinator
• Sign the declaration to HSE
• Appoint Principal Contractor
• Make sure that the construction phase does not start unless there are suitable welfare facilities and a construction phase plan in place
• Provide information relating to the health and safety file to the CDM Co-ordinator
• Retain and provide access to health and safety file
* Notifiable projects are those with an estimated construction period longer than 30 working days or involving more than 500 person days.
This summary is based on paragraph 23 of Managing Health and Safety in Construction, the approved code of practice under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007. Reference should be made to that document for full details of the Client’s duties.
Competent CDM Coordinator
As competent CDM Coordinators, Veritas Consulting are able to fully advise Client’s on all matters relating to the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007. Get in touch 0121 249 1281.